I used Ubuntu Operating System on and off for about a year and a half before i completely gave up Windows in favor of Ubuntu 10.04. Ever since 10.04 i have given up on Windows and my system setup consists of all the applications that i require on my system. There are a wide range of applications ranging from general use, entertainment, and software development.
I thought it would be a good idea to list down the must have applications that people can install and use and can cater to a wide variety of requirements for different uses. The Ubuntu version that i am going to talk about here is the 10.04 Lucid Lynx. If you dont currently have this installed then you must grab a copy from the ubuntu website and install one.
1. Google Chrome Web Browser - This the web browser that i have been using for quite a while now and i like the look and feel and the proformance of this application.
1.1 edit /etc/apt/sources.list file
"gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"
1.2 add the following and save the file."deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu lucid main"
"deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu lucid main"
1.3 add GPG keysudo apt-key adv -recv -keys -keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0xfbef0d696de1c72ba5a835fe5a9bf3bb4e5e17b5
2. VLC Media Player - A good media player that can play most formats.
2.1 Open terminal and type the following
"sudo apt-get install vlc"
3. GIMP Image Editor - This is an excellent image manipulation application.
3.1 Open terminal and type the following
"sudo apt-get install gimp"
4. VirtualBox - VirtualBox is an excellent feature rich virtualization product that lest you run multiple different operating system within you host operating system. This is a good choice to install if you want to run Windows or any other operating system within your Ubuntu system.
4.1 browse to the VirtualBox website to download the installation package
5. jEdit - A really mature programmer's text editor.
5.1 download the installation package from
6. Google Earth - You got to have this.
6.1 download the installation package
7. Picasa - This is a good image browser from Google.
7.1 the .deb package for Ubuntu can be downloaded from
8. Ubuntu Tweaks - This is a must have application for Ubuntu. Once installed you can tweak a lot of hidden settings and install updated versions of many useful applications in Ubuntu.
8.1 add the required repository
"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa"
"sudo apt-get update"
"sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak"
9. Yakuake - A very handy and convenient slide out terminal on demand
9.1 Install by running the following in terminal
"sudo apt-get install yakuake"
10. Teamviewer - Hassle free remote access solution which is free for personal use.
10.1 Download the .deb package from
11. DropBox - Do you want to be able to backup your files online and have ability to access them anywhere. This is a great solution. Works in both Linux and Windows. Synchronizes your files automatically.
11.1 Download from Dropbox site.
12. DockbarX - This is an excellent Windows Style Taskbar in Ubuntu. You can pin applications and there are plenty of configuration options available.
12.1 add the required repository.
"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dockbar-main/ppa"
"sudo apt-get update"
"sudo apt-get install dockbarx dockbarx-themes-extra"
12.4 In order to activate dockbar right click on bottom panel -> Add to panel -> Select DockbarX applet